August 02, 2007

Criminal Minds; The Dottmyster and Angster!

It's true, as a youth I had somewhat of a criminal mind. It seems that my scheme's influenced a few. But when I was a college student, way across the United States in Idaho, my BFF, Angie, was in Pennsylvania. Starving college students as we were, we had to be creative to keep in touch. I don't remember who started the illegal activity, but I am fairly certain it was me.

(Although before we went to college we did steal a downed stop sign, and left our hot fudge sundae trash containers in someone's mail box!)

Ang, went to Penn State, but she came home on weekends. Since I didn't always have money, or the desire to walk to the post office for a stamp, I came up with a sure fire way to get mail to her. I would simply send it to her family home, without a stamp. The return address would be her address in State College. Every time it would get sent to her at State College for a stamp. I made it appear that she didn't put a stamp on it, so they would send it back to her for postage! Clever! (as soon as I find a picture of us, I am totally posting it!)

(I'll find a better shot of us, I promise!)
Then on an occasion while she worked for a non profit organization I shall not name, she would mail me a letter, in their pre paid envelope! Scandalous! (Twice)

To take it a step further, not so illegal, just funny. I once sent her a postcard with nothing on it but 1cent stamps. It was humorous for two reasons, I knew she'd see mail and think it was something great, (it wasn't, just her address and stamps, funny) and I knew some poor postal worker, trying not to go postal, would have to manually cross out all the stamps so they couldn't be reused! Hilarious still to me!

While looking for a picture of us, I found this letter Angie had written me!
(Unlike Angie who throws all this good stuff away, I save it for evidence!)

Notice this stamp is taped on!

Oh my Gosh, this trip down memory lane is hilarious!!!

Angie's reference in her letter about envelopes, sometimes we would have to make envelopes out of magazine pages. Some pages were of Men, (steaming hot men) advertising underwear, if you know what I mean! LOL!

Some time's these types of conversations come up, you know, crazy things you did when you were a kid...apparently I have mentioned this behavior before to my friend Trish. Because today, in the mail came this! Initially, I thought Angie had sent me this mail!

Turns out Trish was actually listening to me ramble on about my "wild and crazy" years! (Seriously, that's about as wild and crazy as it got, 2 free mailed letters and contributing to the whole "going postal" phrase!)

Just look at that work of art. All those 1cent stamps. I can just see some poor postal worker now, "Ha, Ha, someone thinks they are very funny!" while she is crossing out each and every stamp! HILARIOUS!

Thanks Trish, but an even bigger thank's to my BFF Angie of 20 years!

We met when we were 2 ;-)

6 comments:

Lori said...

you look beautiful in that photo Dottie!! we so rarely get to see YOU in the pics!!!

Lori said...

oh...by the way. my wild & crazy "stuff" would not be allowed on anyone's blog. Pre-mormon days were a riot, but I'm glad my daughter's idea of fun is "cow-tipping", toliet-papering homes, & getting kicked out of Walmart for playing tag in the store with Ben, Samantha, Brandon, & Brent.

Gwenda said...

I don't believe I ever knew this about you! In my younger days others thought I was a "goody-two-shoes", so this is far worse than anything I could have ever schemed up!

mamanicky said...

Oh shame shame!! You naughty girl!

Anonymous said...

I remember that STOP sign, thats the one we used at the festival, remember it Gwenda?
I now know why the post office employees always looked at me with an odd expression on their face, and why I had to ask the Post Master if he had a brother. HAHA!

Dottie said...

After Angie and I consulted about this, we both agreed, that the paper she wrote the letter on, was likely stolen as well! LOL! See Ang, this is why you should have a blog. To defend yourself! :-) You know I love ya!