August 14, 2007

Butterfly Catchers

Saturday, August 11: One of Lexie's closest friends Ruthie, is a nature lover! She is constantly chasing bee's, butterfly's, anything at all! Lexie just loves Ruthie, and on this Saturday morning, while outside with Daddy, Lexie spotted a small butterfly. For some reason we couldn't find a net, and Lexie was determined to catch this butterfly for Ruthie's birthday which is 10 months away! She worked at catching that butterfly off and on all morning, until she
finally captured it in his egg! She and Kaylie putting grass in the little holes so the butterfly could eat.
They stayed busy with that egg for a long time.
It was so terribly hot, I explained to Lexie that the butterfly wouldn't be okay in there until Ruthie's birthday. So I encouraged her to let the butterfly go.
It wasn't long after that, when she came to me and said, "I am ready to let the butterfly go". I told her, to hold on I'll get the camera. She waited, but I didn't get the shot. As soon as she opened up the egg, the butterfly came out. It happened so fast, Lexie didn't even have a chance to scream, she just groaned, and dropped the egg halves on the ground, quick so the butterfly wouldn't get on her. Then we all stood around having a great laugh about it!
We never saw that poor little butterfly again.

5 comments:

Lori said...

That makes me think about the pet worm my sister had called "Snake". I still remember when she said he had a fever so she had to give him a kiss. Oooohh!!!

Gwenda said...

I once captured one of those big fat green catapilars and put it in a jar. Eventually it spun a cocoon and came out a beautiful butterfly! I remember the day we let it fly away! I'm so glad you let yours fly away too!

Anonymous said...

Dear Lexie,

I'm so glad you left the butterfly
go so it could fly around freely!
We will have to look for a butterfly house when I come to down to see you! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Angie said...

Dottie, I just had to tell you that I love your choice in songs! I am a country music LOVER and I love to hear the songs you put on your blog.

Dottie said...

Thanks Angie, I love my music choices too! I would comment on your blog, but can't figure out how! Thanks for looking. I look at your every couple of days! The kids all seem to be doing great! Hooray! Good Luck with school starting. I have just a little more time then you to get ready, we start 8/27!