September 04, 2008

"Are you one of those Mormon Boys"

I said to the Gateway technical support technician on the other end of the phone.

(The reason for my call, was a SYSTEM FAILURE! I used my computer in the morning, it worked fine. I came home to use my computer after lunch and all was not well. After doing everything I felt like I could do, I made the call for support.)

I went through the usual 800 line operations:

If you would like to hear this message in English press 1, now.

Press 1

If you would like help with Computer upgrades press 1 now.

If you need technical support press 2 now.

Press 2

If your system is operating slowly, Press 1 now.

If you are having trouble connecting to the Internet Press 2 now.

I am tired of this, I am pressing 0 now!

I'll connect your call

How they make a computer so personal I don't know.

I was pleasantly greeted by "Clint, badge # I don't know, didn't care, didn't write it down"

I explained my trouble. As he started talking me through several stages of what to do, I could tell he was from out west. I tagged him as being from Utah. During one of our long pauses, I say to him,

Where are you located?

Utah- I knew it!

I knew it!

How did you know?

I could tell by your accent!

Do I have an accent?

Yes!

Oh, So are you one of those Mormon boys?

AH, Yeah - Go figure!

I am one of those Mormon girls!

Oh, you are?

Yes, I went to school at Ricks college in Idaho.

Really, that's cool.

So are you planning on going on a mission?

Ah, I think so- I wasn't really convinced

You think so? I think maybe the whole reason for my computer trouble is that The Lord needed to get you a message that you should go on a mission.

He laughs and says oh

So I tell him, look if you were saying your Prayers last night and asked Heavenly Father for a sign as to whether or not you should go on a mission, I said here it is! Yes of course you should go on a mission!

Again he laughs and says, Oh okay.

He guides me into the next stage of computer recovery, one he can't wait around for because it takes so long and we end our phone conversation. Very nice young man.

I work on fixing my computer...

I need to call back to gateway customer support. If you really want to know how that started go back and Press 1 now!

Guess who answerer's the phone at Gateway Technical Support, none other than my new found thinking about going on a mission in a year or so friend CLINT! Badge # I wish I would have written it down this time!

Hey Clint, it's your Mormon friend Dottie!

Oh, Hi

Guess what?

What?

I still have the same problem

Oh that's not good

I know what should I do now?

Well ... (we talked shop a little bit)

Hey look, I say, I think my computer problems will just go away when you commit to go on a mission.

He laughs, you do?

Really, I do! How old are you?

18, I don't turn 19 until May

You need to start getting your Mission papers in now, there is a kid on our ward who just got his call and he doesn't even leave until December 5th.

Really, that stinks right before Christmas

Yeah, some calls can take a long time, I guess it just depends on where you are going and what MTC you'll be in.

Yeah

How many kids are in your family?

8

What number are you?

2, I have a sister who is 19.

So you could end up going on a mission at the same time.

Maybe

We determined that I had a hard drive failure and at this point there is nothing more Clint can help me with...

Clint, look you write down my name and contact info and when you get back from your Mission, you send me a note and let me know how it went!

Okay

Thanks for your help

I didn't help much

It will be okay, take care, good bye

Bye

I have prayed for Clint 3 times since that call. I do hope our conversation some how had an affect on his life and he makes the choice to serve a mission. I also hope that The Lord knows I am trying to do his will, by sharing the Gospel, and what a nice blessing it would be for me if The Lord would help to recover my Hard Drive! :-)



The Lord knows I have a sense of HUMOR!



4 comments:

Angie said...

That is exactly why we say, "Everything happens for a reason." I sure hope this makes your computer troubles easier to bare. Good look with your hard drive. And the Lord thanks your for being Clint's Hard Drive!!!!

Gwenda said...

Won't that be awesome when he contacts you after his mission? You'll have to forward your blog entry his way!

Angie said...

That is so neat. I love it when the Lord is so obviously having a hand in our lives. How neat that you have computer problems, and the Lord directs your call to Clint! I love these stories!

Anonymous said...

Oh MY GOSH Dottie you are so funny! I totally couldn't have done that!

In fact, my Academic advisor for Univ. of Phx...I'm positive he's LDS, but I've never asked. Besides, he's older and just had a kid, and he probably went on a mission, so there's no great "mission" for me to handle there!