In the past week I have two different encounters with the Elderly, both were unusual! I like Elderly people, I don't have a problem with Elderly people, but Elderly is not something I long to become. In fact it scares me. I know I am pleasant and kind, but will "kids" be that way towards me as an Elderly person?
My first encounter:
It happened last week, I prepared a special meal for a family in our ward. The husband is very sick with cancer. It was terribly stressful, the Missionaries stopped by, I wanted to make exactly what this brethren had asked for...Finally the dish was ready. I called ahead and asked Sharon to pre heat the oven for my specialty pizza and I left for her house. I was so keyed up that I just couldn't calm down. I arrived at the house and an Elderly woman answered the door. I have never met this woman, but because The Wilson's are having such a difficult time I assumed the woman was a friend or relative.
The exchange went something like this...
"Hi, I've got dinner!" I say
"Oh, thank you, just bring it in the kitchen" says strange elderly lady.
"Right this way, please excuse the mess..."
"I don't even see a mess..." my reply
By this point I have crossed through her door, past her living room and into the kitchen which had 3 piles of laundry on the floor. I expected Sharon to greet me by now...
So I say, "Is Sharon around?"
To which the strange Elderly Lady replied, "Oh Honey, She lives next door!"
I make a quick retreat, simple goofy pleasantries and go!
(Why would this lady let me a COMPLETE STRANGER enter her house?)
Second encounter:
It happened today and I am still sick over it. While waiting for Lindsay to get out of her Dental appointment I notice a sweet Elderly couple leaving the office. The lovely man, named George, said good bye to the office staff like they were old friends and headed out the door with his wife in tow.
Only a half a minute passed when the office staff goes running out the door. George had fallen down the last three brick stairs onto the concrete below. Someone starts screaming to call 911, everyone is in a panic. EMS is on the way, in the mean time the office staff raced to get him a pillow, a wet towel, all while his wife stand there helpless. I kept thinking is anyone helping her, and yet I stayed inside, I can't offer real medical assistance, I didn't want to stare at their horrific moment in time...
EMS arrives after what seems like an eternity and the next thing I know I am being asked to help get George onto the board and gurney. Of course I will help, so I leave the waiting room and head outside, coming to George I found out that right after he went down, he told his sweet wife, he broke his shoulder and then he passed out. Now looking down at him I can see that both of his knees are bloody, his hand has a deep puncture wound and his opposite arm is scraped and bleeding everywhere. He lay quiet, his eyes closed to avoid the piercing sun which beat down on him while laying on the steaming hot concrete in pain. Some folks carefully rolled him to the side, while I and another placed the board underneath his body. Then I helped to strap him on the board and eventually lift the board to the gurney. With each move he whimpered in pain. We jointly lifted the gurney to where EMS could then steer him to the ambulance. I walked back inside and Lindsay was finished. Some of the office staff was asking if I was okay, I must have been shaking. I told them I was fine, but couldn't help but tear up at the thought of what lay ahead for him and his wife.
When I got back home to my family, my knees were weak and shaky. I just felt so exhausted and yet I did nothing. It was such an adrenaline rush and let down. I could have easily napped. I explained to the other children what had happened and we knelt in prayer.
I hope I can continue to have compassion for Elderly people, but a little less interaction for a while would be great!
4 comments:
WOW I think I would have felt the same way. That poor man and his wife. Glad you were able to help.
As for the lady next door to sharon. Too funny. She was happy to get someone bringing her food I suppose. lol
Savanna had an encounter when the grandfather of her friend fell at the pool yesterday and had to be taken to the ER.
yikes! I hope he is ok!
And how funny that that lady let you come right in with the food!
I wonder if she normally gets Meals on Wheels or something and is used to people bringing her food?
:)
I found it strange the the EMS would aske others for help in that way. What if no one would have been there to help? They couldn't do it themselves?
That post was totally not fair. I laughed out loud at the first one & then cried w/ the second. It's all karma girlfriend. Keep doing that kind of service & you won't have to worry about how others will treat you when you are "elderly".
Post a Comment