April 13, 2008

What do we believe?

A dear friend, who knows I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, asked me at the park the other day, just what do you believe?

As I thought about how to share with her what I believed, I realized I could easily share with her The Articles of Faith, written by our Prophet Joseph Smith.




The Articles of Faith
1. We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost.
2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, second, Repentance, Third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins, fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers evangelists, and so forth.
7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues and so forth.
8. We believe in the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly, we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes, that Zion 9the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent, that Christ will reign personally upon the earth and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisaical glory.
11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
12. We believe in being subject to kings, president, rulers and magistrates, in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law.
13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
Joseph Smith
Please turn off my music when you play 'Reflections of Christ'.
A very talented photographer, who takes pictures of people, portraying the life of the Savior, in Mesa Arizona, named Mark Mabry is working on an exhibit that will be on display at the Visitors' Center at the Mesa Temple called, 'Reflections of Christ.' Take a look...just a very powerful testimony of our Love for our Savior.
I've said it many times before, and I will continue to say it, I don't know where I would be without The Gospel of Jesus Christ, I am so thankful for his Atoning Sacrifice.

1 comment:

Gwenda said...

This is great! I hope your friend reads your blog!