May 30, 2006

Lost Teeth

May 22nd Kodi came down stairs after brushing his teeth, he had lost a tooth! When asked to see his latest prize, he complained that his tooth had gone down the drain. I had to chuckle, which of course made him mad.
I wanted to know how that could happen, and somewhat distressed he said, "I was brushing my teeth and when I went to spit out the toothpaste my tooth fell out down the drain!" Then I broke out into laughter and he stomped away mad! Tooth fairy still hasn't paid him a visit!

May 23rd was my day to loose a tooth: A pesky partially impacted wisdom tooth, the culprit to months of pain had to go!

Anxiety set in the night before.

Once at the oral surgeons office I gladly met Mr. Happy Mask. Mr. Happy Mask offered me numbness and tingling, as long as I remembered to breathe through my nose! Mr. Happy Mask also offered me the peace and calm one would need when oral surgery isn't going the way it should!

Especially when you hear the Surgeon say things like, "At this point we don't panic, we just take our time", "Not to worry we will get your tooth out", "We will now need to split your tooth in order to get it to budge", "The root of your tooth is wedged into your jaw bone, that is why it doesn't want to come out" (that was my personal favorite)

When it was finally over, the surgeon said with a sigh of relief, "I can now have my heart attack!" (I didn't care when he had his heart attack as long as my tooth was out!)

The next thing he told me, signed me up for my very own heart attack and that was, "You'll need to be careful with your jaw bone, it has now been compromised and it could easily break, try not to bite into anything hard, don't accidentally bite into bones of any kind, do not get hit in the mouth..." At this point my eyes had glazed over and any other warnings he may have given me went unheard.

He did the usual commending me on what a great patient I was...Told me when I had my other two wisdom teeth removed I should definitely schedule more time as it is likely that my other lower wisdom tooth has done the same thing and that I would experience a great deal of swelling. So far he was totally right on the swelling, but I may not ever want to find out about my other wisdom tooth!

No comments: