with our 4 living children in between us, I had to smile.
Rick wanted to know what I was smiling about.
I smiled bigger.
Then the kids wanted to know what I was smiling about.
So I had to tell them.
I sat across a table from their father some 19 years ago, having a lovely dinner of HOT STEAMED CRABS!
Just one dinner, if we could have known then what we know now...
if we could have known we'd marry and live in Maryland
then I'd be in a car wreck and suffer for a year
then we would move to littlestown PA while I was pregnant with our first baby
and how our first baby boy would die before birth
then we'd both suffer
only to be filled with joy and another pregnancy
then slowly watch as my Grandfather battled brain cancer
I'd drive my Grandparents to different various appointments, trying to help in any way I could, glad to do it, only feeling as if we'd lost my Grandfather the moment he found out about the brain cancer
we'd loose Rick's Mom just two short months before our sweet baby girl would arrive
we'd visit his grandma a few weeks later, and though she was unable to walk in her hospital room, she acted as if she would do anything for Rick, including change the air temperature...she loved him so
Lindsay would be born, tainted with the news that my father was leaving my mother...the reason I asked the doctor to induce me, stress of what was to come to my family
We would bring Lindsay home from the hospital on Thanksgiving as it snowed, so much better then the previous thanksgiving when we were supposed to bring home our baby boy and our arms were empty
by the end of that year both of Rick's grandparents would be gone
so was my father
soon we were expecting another baby, but we kept it to ourselves while our family suffered loosing my Grandfather
during his funeral Rick sweetly told me that I would soon have to tell, as I was showing
My father returned...didn't act like much of a father
I held off telling my family about the pregnancy, because with it came heartache and worry, I waited until I felt like they could hear it, it was October I was due in January
We moved but were still living in Littlestown
2 days later I had delivered another sweet baby boy
the year went along well, until my mother knew she had to leave, it was October
my father moved someone in the next week
we all suffered
two miscarriages the next year one in the winter another in the fall
i was done having babies
my Aunt turned up pregnant with twins
sick, painful, cruel joke on me...beautiful baby boys for her
i broke my hand in a sledding accident
it's hard to diaper toddlers with one hand
or open a can of soup
or wash your hair
i lived, so did the toddlers
my father spent 6 months angry driving by each day without even looking at our house, because we wouldn't sell him a car
so much family drama it was finally time to move away
we left behind all those that suffered
my mother trying to find someone to love
my sister being forced from her home with dad after she had stayed behind with him, his new wife didn't care for his kids
my dad who got his girlfriend pregnant while married to his second wife
said girlfriend is now his 3rd wife and Lindsay, Kodi & Lexie have an Uncle younger than them, sick joke on my father 57 years old with a 6 year old son
moved to NC to pursue a job in NASCAR
found successes and failures
were blessed with two more baby girls
Rick's truck would be stolen and ruined, a neighbor blessed us by giving us a car, Geo.
visits from family Mom, Jenn and Kevin, Dale and Gwenda, Mom, Dad, Dad and Pam, Mom, Angie, highlights, really big highlights
good kids, doing well in school
lost my other grandfather to cancer within two short weeks, i was extremely blessed to have seen him in the hospital days before he died...he said, "I knew you'd come" and I had
vacations to massanutten with mom
driving around Mooresville, our home, feeling like it's home
Rick would be in a terrible car accident, one in which he shouldn't have walked away...he did, God gave him a second chance...there were no more chances for the Geo.
vacation to Disney with our family
trips home in the summer attending Littlestown carnival, they don't have carnivals here
we'd live with only 1 car for months and months at a time, it was always so painful
entrapment is awful
a quick trip home to say goodbye to my grandma, helping her for 13 hours while she was helpless, her sweet laugh and smile of gratitude, I felt loved
almost lost our own family due to NASCAR
more suffering
we've got our family back now
going back to college after 17 years, earning a 4.0 on my first two classes
the Church is still the same, blessing
so are the people, :-)
you learn to live with them, love them through their imperfections and hope and pray they can love you through yours
we've got our priorities back in check
so much so that I can sit across the table from my husband and smile
9 comments:
Wow Dottie, that was an amazing post. God has graced you with a gift to see the good after the storm.
Congrats on the good grades Dottie...
and congrats on the smile :)
and congrats on blogging again....
don't think you get to wait another month or two just because that post covered the span of so many years!
:)
Love you... and yes, when summer comes we do need to visit.
WOW!
I loved learning so much about your life through this long-overdue post. SO sorry you had so many hardships.
Kudos to you for going back to school. I couldn't do it.
Keep smiling....
...so happy for you....
And you stayed strong and are still smiling. That is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
wonderful perspective on life
And we smile even when we don't feel like it! Love you
And this is why I admire you for being one of the strongest woman I know and someone I so often turn to for example and support.
and just like that, i'm up to speed.
what a long, hard road to travel. Love to you and your beautiful family.
Post a Comment